Number Nine Vegetable Soup
Yes, this soup has an odd name. It comes in part from being the ninth in the “Season of Soups” series. But what it really speaks to is the vegetables in the soup. How many food products these days sell themselves on containing one or more servings of vegetables that Uncle Sam says you need each day? Well, this soup has nine vegetables (not counting the onions or tomato juice). It is so easy to keep frozen vegetables on hand and they make this soup so easy to prepare. There is a mega serving of vegetables in every bowl. The mixed vegetables contain carrots, corn, green beans, peas, and lima beans. That’s five veggies. The winter mix has broccoli and cauliflower bringing it to seven veggies. Add the speckled butter beans and spinach and it totals of nine veggies. I like to use low sodium tomato juice so I control the salt content. I have not added any hot pepper since this is a great soup for getting kids to eat their vegetables. Just add your favorite red hot sauce.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, julienned
- 1 (64-ounce) bottle of low-sodium tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (16-ounce) bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (16-ounce) bag of frozen winter blend vegetables
- 1 (16-ounce) bag of frozen speckled butter beans
- 1 (10-ounce) box of frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leavess
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground savory
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Hot sauce (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over a medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté, stirring often for 8 to 10 minutes until the onions are golden brown. Add the tomato juice, water, frozen vegetables, parsley, basil, celery seeds, oregano, savory, salt and pepper, and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours stirring often until the beans are tender. Serve piping hot.
Makes about 8 to 10 serving.
Recipe Copyright Bill Hufnagle 2015.